building first BBC - advice please

Old 08-31-2007, 08:53 PM
r8ceredy
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Yes that is my '68 Camaro SS that is finally getting a BBC back between the fenders like it had 40years ago. It had a 327 in it with a 200/4r trans when I bought it 12years ago. I played with that engine and nitrous for a while and built a 383 for it, but after a short while realized that wasn't enough (never is ENOUGH-right?). :twisted: Now the car is getting a full frame off resto so I figured it is time it gets the big block back. From earlier posts sounds like the extra clearancing the block might need to fit the 4.375 stroke (511) is not worth the marginal power boost over the 4.250 (496) stroke. BJ, how much work did it take to get your '67 to 3000#. Is it completely stripped? I plan on this car being a stone-faced sleeper as everything will look stock except the rear tires being a little larger 15X8's with ET Streets. I don't have a/c but the car will have heat, wipers and washers. I have a drop base for the air cleaner so you won't see much of the big carb. I am even going with a distributor that looks like a point type, probably a magnetic or unilite. I hid all the electronics(ignition box and shift light) in the glove box and have no big tach or other callout. The only thing I gave in to (for safety)was some 5 points that are mostly tucked under the seat when not in use and larger exhaust that still exits in the stock location. Most people would think I'm nuts or eccentric, but I love nothing more then having a car that people think is a trailered stock show car that can blow your doors off. Do I think it's the fastest thing on the road, no. There is always somebody faster. When I see that person thought I'll probably be pursuaded to go home and put the NOS plate back on........ :roll: Oh well.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:33 AM
ashtrak
MASTER BUILDER

Default Motor Combo

This is my combo I am trying but I haven’t fired up yet. It is a 1973 4 bolt main block fitted with a 496 eagle rotating assy. SRP/JE pistons 10.0 cp. And a milodon oil pan,pump pickup and shaft. Heads are cast iron 026 rec.ports that were fitted with 2.25 in. 1.88 ex. Manley valves. Seats in heads were changed for unleaded gas. The heads were ported and flowed but I have no numbers since these were on motor when I bought the car. It has a lunatic cam and components with a lift of 685/680 with a duration of 286/296 http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...l/502A5LUN.pdf. The intake is team G ported to match heads with a AED 1050 pro street dominator to feed it and a 1” spacer. MSD Distributer with wires to match and a CSR 55 gal electric water pump. Headers will be made but are headman's sprit car 2 ¼” going into a 4” collector oval piping into spintech mufflers. Good Luck :wink:
Old 09-01-2007, 08:40 AM
ashtrak
MASTER BUILDER

:? woops fogot to add harland sharp 1.7 roller rockers with crane stud girdle and heres a pic if it will post Good Luck 8) or better yet go to ashtrak and pic of motor is there
Old 09-03-2007, 07:39 PM
r8ceredy
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Ashtrak,
sounds pretty close to what I am doing. Did you have clearance issues with the block or bearings being to tight? I appreciate the help as I can go on here and hear from a ton of experienced people in a short period of time.

:arrow: I ask the audience for carb help. Is a 950cfm the "right" carb for a street/strip 496? I have heard the dominator is more difficult to tune for town cruising. As my motor is built for the 3000-7000 rpm powerband will a 4150 with no choke horn fit the bill? I have a 750cfm dp carb now and I believe that would be too small for this larger motor. Lastly, Mallory Unilite or MSD Magnet distributor? Pros/Cons? I want to build this once and be done. Thanks
Old 09-04-2007, 05:20 AM
ashtrak
MASTER BUILDER

Send me a p.m. with your e addy I'll try to send you all the specs i have of my build to see if this will help you 8)
Old 09-06-2007, 12:22 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by r8ceredy
Yes that is my '68 Camaro SS that is finally getting a BBC back between the fenders like it had 40years ago. It had a 327 in it with a 200/4r trans when I bought it 12years ago. I played with that engine and nitrous for a while and built a 383 for it, but after a short while realized that wasn't enough (never is ENOUGH-right?). :twisted: Now the car is getting a full frame off resto so I figured it is time it gets the big block back. From earlier posts sounds like the extra clearancing the block might need to fit the 4.375 stroke (511) is not worth the marginal power boost over the 4.250 (496) stroke. BJ, how much work did it take to get your '67 to 3000#. Is it completely stripped? I plan on this car being a stone-faced sleeper as everything will look stock except the rear tires being a little larger 15X8's with ET Streets. I don't have a/c but the car will have heat, wipers and washers. I have a drop base for the air cleaner so you won't see much of the big carb. I am even going with a distributor that looks like a point type, probably a magnetic or unilite. I hid all the electronics(ignition box and shift light) in the glove box and have no big tach or other callout. The only thing I gave in to (for safety)was some 5 points that are mostly tucked under the seat when not in use and larger exhaust that still exits in the stock location. Most people would think I'm nuts or eccentric, but I love nothing more then having a car that people think is a trailered stock show car that can blow your doors off. Do I think it's the fastest thing on the road, no. There is always somebody faster. When I see that person thought I'll probably be pursuaded to go home and put the NOS plate back on........ :roll: Oh well.

Considers a full bodies stock frame car my 67 camaro has under gone extensive work..its a full tube (2x3) frame car....the front clip is also (2x3) box tube with a full cage .134 wall mild steel.....aluminum wheel tubs and tranny tunnel that has nice carpet glued down.....nine inch rear...
only fiberglass is hood...the rest is steel body with all orginal glass and door regulators for side windows..

the car weighs about 2780 without driver....so i am 2995 or 3,000 lbs depending on what i ate ..lol...

i honestly do not know how light you can get a 68..Please let us know when you find out..

good luck.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-09-2007, 06:43 PM
r8ceredy
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Considers a full bodies stock frame car my 67 camaro has under gone extensive work..its a full tube (2x3) frame car....the front clip is also (2x3) box tube with a full cage .134 wall mile steel.....aluminum wheel tubs and tranny tunnel that has nice carpet glued down.....nine inch rear...
only fiberglass is hood...the rest is steel body with all orginal glass and goor regulators for side windows..

the car weighs about 2780 without driver....so i am 2995 or 3,000 lbs depending on what i ate ..lol...

i honestly do not know how light you can get a 68..Please let us know when you find out..
Well all that frame work seems to have paid off for you as I am tipping the scales around 3400# with me 3200# w/o. I'll just have to ring out a few more ponies as doing half of what you have would ruin my "stock" appearance. It's hard to make comprimises, isn't it? I truly need 2 cars, one for show and one for go. Too bad the other half would make me go if she knew what I "invest" in my hobby, a 2nd car would be a dead giveaway. Yeah I know ops: whipped ops: