lost oil pressure durring first round

Old 09-01-2009, 03:37 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by TS1955
Originally Posted by DirkaDirka
Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD

Don't be surprised if it goes BANG....... AND..do NOT use a FRAM filter.....
I gotta ask you this. I seen you mention FRAM oil filters a few times now. What is the deal with you and FRAM oil filters?? I am just curious?
It's not just DrivingMissDD that has a problem with fram filters. Just about every racer on here doesn't like Fram filters. TOOO many bad issues with them.
TS1955
X 10,000 STAY AWAY FROM ANY AND ALL FRAM OIL FILTERS.
Dirka just read this. http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtop...762&highlight=
Old 09-01-2009, 05:33 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Is your machinist gonna bail you out when it fails again for not tearing it all the way down and cleaning everything. Just like stated earlier "the bearing material is somewhere". I would rather miss a couple of races vs parting with thousands of $$$. Been there, but it's up to you.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:56 AM
chpseat987
CRAFTSMAN

After all you sugesstions I pulled the manifold and flushed everything out i screened it and didnt find any more material, I would be safe saying all of the materail was inthe pan when I removed it. The oil pump was not pulling oil up into the motor when this happened I had no pressure. The crank cleaned up very nice onthe one rod journal i was able to mic the journal and it stayed within .0005 for roundness I think with this bad luck I had I actually got lucky.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:27 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

[quote="chpseat987"]After all you sugesstions I pulled the manifold and flushed everything out i screened it and didnt find any more material, I would be safe saying all of the materail was inthe pan when I removed it.

Topspeed comments:
No, not safe: The pan only has a sample of what is in the oil passages and behind the ring package and every where else you can not see. Best of luck to you.
Bruce
Old 09-03-2009, 08:05 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

The question you need to ask yourself is......"Am I willing and able to pay for a whole new engine as this one could very well go boom before I even stage it ?".......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 09-03-2009, 08:43 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

As all the above have reccomended, tear it completely down. If you find no trash anywhere I will buy you a gasket set.
Dave
Old 09-03-2009, 08:48 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

This is one of those "Things happen for a reason" events. You tear it down and you'll find an issue that would have caused catastrophic engine failure anyway even if the pickup HADN'T fallen off. Been there too many times to ignore this !!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:25 PM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

This sounds like it's going to be one of those "Live and Learn" experiences!

TS1955
Old 09-11-2009, 06:37 PM
APPRENTICE

Built new sbc for my dragster fired it up 60psi ran it at 2500 rpm to get everything run in the oil pressure started to drop got down to 20 psi. It had a fram race filter on it. removed it replaced it with wix's presure held at 60 psi. Couldn't beleive it put fram back same problem.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I hope it stays together but I think you are taking a very big risk...something else to think about is if it does go BANG and you are at say... 100 mph, you could lose more than an engine.

jmo I think you're crazy. no offense

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -